Friday, March 20, 2009

I DID IT!!!!


Well it has been a bit since I updated, and there is good reason!! Life has been a bit hectic after my swim on Saturday,,,, and the reason behind that is........... I BROKE THE WORLD RECORD!!!!!!!!
Yes that is correct, by .25 seconds. What an incredible feeling, to know that I am the best in the world.... not only the best this year but that there ever has been in the history of the 200 meter Breaststroke! This had been one of those times that when it had been made I remember telling my mom oh wow that is never going to be broken. Well lookie here!!! I did it!
Not only that but I won a car for doing it!
The crowd in Toronto was just nuts. Over the whole week I could feel the energy building as more and more people started to find out that this was a viable task for me and it was what I was gunning for. So when we finally got to Saturday, I am pretty sure the entire pool knew what was going on, and I had been asked by almost everyone there was I going to do it!
The day was pretty much just like any other day getting ready for a race, got up, ate breakfast, went to the pool to get ready to warm up. Felt great in pool when I got in for warm up, which is always nice. Everything was pretty normal, it was really just a race, that I knew I could swim fast in. My plan for the morning was just swim an easy relaxed race and make it into the finals. The heat before mine, fellow team mate and friend Haylee dropped a rocking fast time of 2.23! Oh man.... This meant I was going to have to put a bit more effort in haha! Well my morning swim was nice and controlled and 2.21 was the time. Not bad for an easy swim...
Warm down followed and then back to the hotel for lunch and a rest.
Waking up from my nap I knew something special was going to happen. I could just feel it!
Same routine, back at the pool, the only thing that was different was the buzz that was flying around the building. I was feeling a bit over stimulated when I got out of workout, so I went up to our chiropractor Ken and asked him to please calm me down. He had me do some breathing exercises and I was feeling much better. Next task was putting on my suit,,,,,, holy man are they ever tight! 20 mins later with the help of friend Janice I was in,,, and ready to go!
Waiting in the ready room was hectic, all I wanted to do was get out there and race. When the music started for us to walk out, the place went NUTS!!!!!!!! Seriously.... it was Nuts! I turned around to Haylee and just said holy cow! Everyone there was cheering to support me :) I felt like Phelps!
The race went well... I say well because I don't really remember all of it, and I was a little fast on the out and my last 50 ended up being a little slow. The crowd definitely pushed me to the wall in that last 50 and when I touched the wall...... EEEEEEEEEEEEEE I had done it! WOW!!! What a feeling! I had just done something no one else in world has ever done! My sister Hanna was in the race with me (which is totally cool) and my 2 other training partners Martha and Haylee.
I could see my dad in the stands going nuts, knowing that he was calling absolutely everyone he knew (including all the relatives in Ireland), my brother Michael was up there too, tons of friends, and all the Canadians who were screaming to help me to the record.
Two of my other sisters were at the side of the pool (Grainne and Fionnuala). I made Grainne cry!! haha which never happens... My coach Joszef, all the staff from SNC. It was awesome!
For the medal presentation I was presented with flowers, and a huge key for my new car, and a bottle of champagne to shower over the other competitors.
All in all, I have to say it was a pretty spectacular day. I could keep writing for probably ages going through every little detail, but I think my fingers might fall off. :)
So I will leave you with a link to my race on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-GbxMDBvmw

Enjoy, it was a day I will remember forever!

Photos are from Scott Grant

Toodaloo
xox

2 comments:

Kat said...

That is so unreal!!!! Congratulations, you described it so well I have tears:)
Love from the Irvines in Calgary

Anonymous said...

Hi Annamay,
My name is Jordan Calladine, and I'm a huge fan. My school's having a Project Fair and I am going to do a Project on you. So I was wondering if you could send me an autographed picture of you?!?!?! My address is 8 Canyon Crest Point West, Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada, T1K-7Y3. If you could I would be the happiest person in the world!!!!!!!



Big Fan,
Jordan Calladine