Friday, February 20, 2009

2 days down,,,, OH so Close!!!

Well 2 days of the meet are finished, and wow are Canadians doing a hell of a job out here! First race of the meet started with my great friend Erica Morningstar capturing the Canadian record in the 200 free, followed up by fellow Olympian Collin Russel in the men's 200 free. What else was I supposed to do? All these friends of mine swimming so fast I just had to go in there and see what I could do. 100 breast was the event, I felt a bit slow on the out but went into the turn with some great speed and rocketed home with my fastest 2nd 50 split ever. A new best time by 1.1 seconds and a new Canadian record to boot!
The night got even more exciting from there, our T-Bird men had a PHENOMENAL race in their relay against the Calgary boys and WON!!! In another Canadian record time, it was such an awesome race, the boys put it all out there and deserve everything they got.
Some other great races of the night, Scott Dickens tied the Canadian record in the men's 100 br, lil sista Hanna won her 400 IM for the second year in a row and made FISU games this summer, and even litteler sis Grainne was quite the little rookie star and had a fabulous 100 bk moving up to 5th, and relay having the fastest split out of all 4 of us!
Day 2!
200 breast was on the menu for me today, went in this morning just had a relaxed easy swim to make it into the finals. The real business was tonight.
I have had some great training as of late so knew it was going to be a fast swim. Race went pretty much as planned, was right on world record (yes world record) pace after the first 100. The crowd was awesome cheering for me as I powered home in the last 100 trying to get as close to that time as possible. 2.18.59 was the final time, that is 86/100ths off Leisle Jones' world record time! When I get to taper over the next few weeks leading into Toronto, things should be GREAT! It definitely wasn't the perfect race, had a few slow turn, which is good to know, there are things I can fix to be faster down the road.
Maybe swimming this fast will finally get some sponsorships knocking on my door. :)
Grainne told me I should write a letter to Mr. Christian Louboutin and ask him for a sponsorship if I do break this record, haha she thinks that I should tell him I will walk out at worlds wearing his shoes!! I fully agree, I mean what better advertisement would you want than that?? So if anybody knows how to pass that on?? Let me know. :-)
Once again our men's relay was one of the swims of the night, it was a 3 way battle between us, Calgary and Toronto. Colin Russel for Toronto had one of the fastest relay splits ever in Canada to give them a commanding lead, but our boys fought until the end, with Duncan Furer having the swim of his life getting the TBirds in for their second relay win of the meet!
So far I think there have been 9 Canadian records broken here! What a meet for us Canadians!
Well, one more day to go, 3 events left for me. The 50 br, 200 IM and medley relay. I think it is time for bed, I am feeling a little pooped and it's a big day tomorrow.
Toodaloo
xoxox

2 comments:

Kat said...

Way to go! I love hearing about how you are doing:)

Anonymous said...

Annamay!

Congrats on some crazy-fast swimming. I sent you an email a loooong time ago...but never heard back from you. If you want any suits, let me know. I would love to send some your way.

-Dawn