Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Pancake day!!!

Yummy yummy yummy pancake Tuesday today!! Probably one of my favorite days ever cause you get to eat pancakes for dinner. I mean ya you can do that whenever you want but you actually have to eat them today!!! This however means that I have to give something up tomorrow for lent.... This year my gal Sharon and I have decided that Shopping should be that thing.. This may be the hardest thing I will ever do, shopping is my love!! There are 2 exceptions that I am allowed to breech this pact, one... I have to find a bridesmaids dress for my darling Jo's wedding, and two... If I swim super fast in 3 weeks I am allowed to treat myself.
Yesterday I experienced probably one of the WORST days of my life. So I have this acid reflux problem, and my docs wanted to check out how bad things actually were. This meant that I had to have a tube shoved up my nose, and down my throat. Now apparently this isn't supposed to be that bad, the tube should slide smoothly and the numbing gel should make it not hurt too much, my nose decided to be the difficult one... The first tube he put in was one that was to measure how I swallowed, and see how my sphincters were functioning. Holy Crap not cool! The doc tried my left nostril first, and well the tube just didn't want to go, apparently there was not a big enough space for it to get through, so he proceeds to try the next side, which is even smaller so doesn't work either. Then he goes back to the first side; all the while saying well sometimes, not often but sometimes this does not work. SO I asked well what do you do if it doesn't fit, he responded we cant do the test, but then figures he just has to be a bit more forceful. Now I don't know if you have ever been punched in the nose, or had a nose job but Cheese Sauce... NOT FUN!! but I imagine that is what this felt like, someone was ramming something too big through my nasal passage and it hurt like hell. It didn't get better from there; the tube now had to go down my throat, all the while hitting your gag reflex, so now, not only does my nose hurt like hell, and my eyes watering like mad but you can now add to it cause I am heaving and barfing my guts out. I know know why they tell you not to eat before coming in. Finally the tube was in and the doc does the 5 min test with me swallowing little amounts of water with the tube at different positions in my esophagus. Hard part done.. The tube was then taken out (not easy either on my now broken feeling nose) and another one (a much thinner one) needing to be put in. This new tube was way smaller than the first, thank the Lord, and should have gone right in. NOPE, it was still quite large for my poor delicate nose. So more pain, and more gagging, but finally it was in. Now this new tube had to stay in for 24 hrs attached to a little machine that I had to record when I ate, slept had symptoms etc. Ugh, it wasn't too bad, more irritating than anything, but every now and again when I would swallow it would pull on my nose and send pain shooting through my head. Sleeping with it was too bad, I think I was so exhausted from the weekend I passed out relatively easy. The tube was slightly pulled out when I woke up, and I couldn't get it back in so just took it out myself. RELIEF! I still have a sore nose, but at least now they will know what is happening and can come up with a solution. :)
On the swimming front, taper is about to start!!! YAY!!!! I love taper, it means that slowly training is going to come down and I am going to swim like a rocket.
I will leave you with a pic that was in the Sun paper last week of me and 2 of my little sistas.
Toodaloo
xox

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Annamay, I am doing a school project on you. I found diffrent answers to where you were born and I was wondering if you could help me out. Thank you