Friday, November 7, 2008

Airports, Sisters, Politics

Well I am off to cowtown, sitting in the YVR airport, and our flight is delayed an hour because of the brutal weather in Winnipeg. De-icing of the plane... ugh... the amount of times flying out of Edmonton while growing up that I had to wait on planes for stupid weather and deicing. Not fun.
I don't mind hanging out in the airports I really enjoy people watching and find that airports are some of the best places to watch. Plus you never know who you are going to meet, that is also why it is a good idea to always travel looking your best :)
From left- Hanna, Patricia, Me, Fionnuala, and Grainne

So I have kind of a large family, 2 brothers and 4 sisters, and I get to see my sisters and my parents this weekend!!! Yay. We are one big crazy family, but pretty much the best thing ever. Two of my sisters live out in Vancouver with me, but then the baby two still live at home with the parentals. I don't get to see them that often and get pretty excited when I do. Growing up they were like my own live barbie dolls, it was great, I could pretty much dress them up and do whatever I wanted with them but now it is kinda nuts having all five of us competing at the same competition. At least 3 of us will be in the same breaststroke events.

Now I have to comment on the US election from the other day. I am such a proud Canadian, never have I ever wanted to be anything else, if you cut me open I am pretty sure I bleed red and white. But I will admit, I was proud of Americans on Tuesday. For them to come so far and elect Barack Obama as their next president is truly amazing. I find Obama, eloquent and inspiring, his victory speech actually made me cry, and not just for Americans, but for the rest of the world. This shows that change is possible, to go from slavery to president... wow!
I am currently in an English class that discusses the black Atlantic, it is all about the slave trade and movement, and even as little as 20 years ago I don't think anyone thought there would ever be a black man elected president. Now just as little white kids dreamed of being president, so can any other color or race.
Well all for now.
Toodaloo

No comments: