Sunday, November 23, 2008

Week in Review

Well it has been quite the busy week, hence the lack of updating.
On Monday went to a speed networking function put on by the Canadian Sports Center. Basically it was like speed dating but with business people from all over the city, to network, hopefully get some great contacts and in the future, when I become a real person,,, a job!
Then Wednesday I met Jane Roos, founder of the Canadian Athletes Now Fund. What an amazing woman she is, I was truly inspired, her journey over the past 11 years that the fund has been in place has been quite the adventure, with many many ups and downs but she has never given up her desire to help as many Canadian athletes as she can. Plus I got to hang out with some of my Olympic friends, and some new ones. I have mentioned this fund before, it is so awesome, they have helped almost 1000 Canadian athletes, and are working towards helping many more.
The best thing about this fund is that every person in Canada can help, there is no exclusivity to the fund. Jane wants every Canadian out there to feel like they have helped put our athletes on that international podium. The campaign before Beijing 8 for 08,08, was a huge success, donate just 8 dollars to help out an athlete. Unlike other charities or funds the money goes straight to the athlete and the person who donates is sent the name of the athlete they have just helped. So if anyone feels like donating, and you really should,,, I mean 8 dollars is all you have to give,,, that's skipping your Starbucks for 2 days, and instead helping out one of our athletes. Go check out the homepage
http://www.canadianathletesnow.ca/home/
Other than that, it's taper time! I am heading off to Toronto on Wednesday for Canada Cup. Where there should be some pretty speedy swimming that goes down. Not that I have had much to taper from, racing is going to be more of a mental game for me next weekend. I am going to have to be really tough and just give it everything I've got, and then some. I am actually really excited to get there, it will be a chance to see most of my teammates from the summer who I haven't seen since we left Beijing.
Practices have been mediocre, it seems to be that I have one really great workout, and then 2 bad ones. As stressful as that is I am trying to stay as positive as I can and use it as an opportunity to really work on my technique, and all the little things that will hopefully bring me to the next level, and I am getting RIPPED!!! Well at least working on it!
My appointment with the ENT is December 10th, a little bit of a wait, but hopefully they will be able to give me some solutions when I do finally get into seeing them.

Here are some pics from Wednesday night. Enjoy!
The group of people who came out to show their support for the Canadian Athletes Fund!

A list of the athletes helped in 2007/2008, pretty amazing if you ask me.
Jane Roos daughter and my new friend Ruby. She wants to be an Olympic athlete when she grows up.
Some UBC athletes, Anthony Wright (field hockey), Jake Wetzel (Olympic gold medalist-mens 8 Beijing, silver-mens 4 Athens), me, Marian Schole (field hockey), all recipients of fund in 2008.

Jake Wetzel with his 2 Olympic medals.
Trying to fit under a table to play with Ruby
Anthony, Jane Roos, Marian. What we would do without Jane?? I don't know...
All the fabulous photos were taken by Ron Sombilon, go check out his site, it's pretty cool.
www.ronsombilongallery.com

No comments: