Friday, November 28, 2008

What a Night!

First night of the Canada Cup here in Toronto proved to be quite the experience!!! Julia Smit from Stanford smashed the WORLD RECORD! in the 400 IM!! WOW, she looked amazing from start to finish. It is quite something to swim that fast this early in the season, and here in Toronto where it really isn't the best pool. But hey, I guess all you need is a lane and some water. So well done to her!!
My race was not to bad either, raced Tara Kirk, the American record holder in the 100 BR. I always like racing people who are quite a bit faster than me, it gives me new goals and things to work towards. Ended up with a best time and therefore a new Canadian record, 106.23. Pretty happy with that all things considering, there were quite a few mistakes with the race, mostly the start and the turns. Now if I can get those fixed and get some real training under my belt this spring should be pretty awesome.
There were 4 Canadian records broken tonight!! And 2 more missed by under 1 tenth. WAY TO GO CANADA!!
I think everyone was pretty pumped after our awards night last night. It was soooo much fun MCing, I was seriously born to be on the stage. I am so comfortable up there, it is like second nature. They showed a great highlight video from the past year, and another one from the past 100 years of Canadian swimming (we are celebrating our 100 year anniversary). Ryan Cochrane was the guest speaker and did a wonderful job, his race from Beijing was truly inspiring. London 2012, I don't think the world is going to know what hit them when us Canadians come to town. They presented the Omega male and female swimmers of the year last night, Ryan Cochrane was the male and yours truly the female. It is nice to be rewarded for all the hard work I have put in over the past 2 years, we were both presented with Omega watches for the award.
Well bed time for me :)
200 breast tomorrow! Let's hope for some speedyness :)
toodaloo

No comments: